Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Mother's Day


For the longest time now, Mother's Day has always had one special memory for me. It was at a time when my mother and mother in law were still alive ( wait for it, this is not going where you think it is) and I had decided that, dog gone it, I had had enough. You see, for those of you who don't know, my mother was French and a tough nut and my mother in law was German and a tough nut. I am being kind.
So I decided that I was going to celebrate ME one Mother's day and I booked a trip for the four of us to Disneyland. Yep, you read right. I was selfish. I totally admit it now. But then, it was just a means of escape to celebrate a day for me and no one else. And what a wonderful Mother's Day it was. With extreme clarity, I can still see Mitchell standing at the gates of Tune Town. Where he stopped before entering, and said " Isn't it beautiful.....?" With awe. Now mind you, he was 6 at the time. I will never forget that moment. I admit I did not really grasp how it might pain Mike's mom to not be included. (We took her another year. There, that makes up for it, doesn't it?) My mom? I don't think she cared one bit. But I don't know. She wasn't ever the touchy feely type of person and did I mention she was French? Recently I heard someone describe the French to be like coconuts. Tough on the outside but sweet on the inside. Someone forgot to tell my Mom that.
Anyway, it was a wonderful Mother's Day for me. Just me and mine.
This Mother's Day I have a new memory to place above this one. Mitchell graduated from Gonzaga University in Spokane. So Michael , Breanne and I ( and Squishy, can't forget him) took a road trip to Spokane and had a wonderful 36 hours! We got to Mitchs' and took him to Costco where we bought food for the dinner we were all making after the graduation. Us, and everyone else, it would seem. But then again, when is Costco ever not jammed on a Saturday? We had dinner that night at the Wild Sage Bistro. Turns out, Loius' dad was on the plane to come visit Louis in Spokane when the woman next to him suggested he try Wild Sage. He went and then told Mitch. And I thank him for that. The food was wonderful. I have not had a meal that good in a long time. When you get a chance, check it out . Google Wild Sage Bistro/Spokane. The menu is fantastic.
Sunday morning, we rose early and made our way to the Spokane Arena where 900 graduates walked. Mitch told us 1200 graduated but not all opted to walk. What?!? To come all that way and not walk? I realize some had circumstances but, this is a rite of passage, a milestone!
The grads entered to bagpipes playing and this was no mean feat. Can you imagine playing the bagpipes for as long as it take 900 people to enter and situate? Great lungs is all I have to say.
I watched my son graduate. Now I have a better Mother's Day memory. Afterwards, we drove to the ADMIN buliding on campus where they had mimosas ready for all and the picture taking began. That was so cool to see all the grads with their families. I recall watching one woman trying to hold her two squiggling infant children while getting her picture taken. " This is how NOT to do college" she said.
We then made our way back to Mitch's house where he shared life with 5 other guys. Picture the duct taped couch, the "borrowed" dorm room coffee table, the mini fridges in the entry. Ahh, college life. They got the barbeque going and I made my way to the kitchen to prepare. Steaks, baked potatoes, watermelon and salads for all 40 or so of us. It was good to talk to the other's guys and their parents. It's gonna be a tough one for these guys to leave each other. They will all go their seperate ways tomorrow. Some have jobs, some don't. But what they do have are great memories and friendships to last a lifetime. Way to go Mitch and friends. You have acheived a goal. Welcome to the rest of your lives. Thanks for the memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment