Monday, March 1, 2010

Birthdays


March 1st, 2010.
Which just happens to be my birthday.
Oh, I am BIG on birthdays. Just in case any of you were wondering.
It used to be if my birthday was on a Thursday, let the birthday weekend begin!
Now, I settle for the day. Chalk it up to age. Getting on in it, I mean.
My fondest memory was the time Michael cooked dinner for me,
it was on the cover of Bon Appetit magazine and it included a birthday dinner for 12.
The main course was Paella, with chicken and sausage and shrimp. A salad with homemade croutons and proscuitto and dressing and a layered cake for dessert. Now, before you go all " big deal, anyone can do THAT"....I beg to differ.
This is the man whose daughter once proudly announced in preschool that " My daddy burns salads!".
The magazine walked him thru it three days in advance and he followed it religiously.
It was so fun to see him work on different courses and see it to fruition on my special day.
And I got to share it with 10 others too! Oh man, did he get mass points for THAT birthday!
I have since asked him if he could repeat that occasion, to which he replied" uh, yeah, NO"
It was way too much work for him he looked me in the eye and told me.
He would rather take me out or buy me something nowadays.
I understand totally. It takes a lot out of me to entertain 10 people. I know, I do it often.
And it's even harder as I get older. Like today.
So tonight we went to Stanley and Seafort's for dinner.
Ever have a dinner that disapointed? Because I have had a ton lately! But not tonight, thank goodness! Tonight's was wonderful.
(Phew. Would have hated to be bitchy on my birthday~)
Ideally, being in Vegas with unlimited funds would be THE best birthday ever......I am still holding out for that one.
But for now, I have 30 minutes left so I am headed to the kitchen.
Maybe make some shortbread. So I can have some in the morning for breakfast.
Or maybe I'll go shopping on Etsy or Ebay. I have 30 minutes left to milk it.
My pastor told me that on my facebook.
I HAVE to listen to him.
He has connections.

No comments:

Post a Comment