Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Honoring our Own


Today, Breanne talked me into getting into my car and driving to the Lowe's parking lot to watch the memorial procession of our four slain Lakewood officers.

At 10 a.m.. the first of the line began to leave McChord Air Force Base and make the 10 mile trek to the Tacoma Dome for the Memorial. A steady stream of police cars and fire trucks from 261 agencies across the United States passed by people lined up with hands over their hearts.

It was the most amazing thing I have ever seen and I hope I never see it again. I could only watch as each car and truck slowly crept by, reading the ensignia and emblems on the sides of the vehicles. They came from everywhere. It was amazing.

I was lucky enough to be able to keep company with a police officer who was on duty.

He told me that there were already complaints about the streets being blocked off and to watch for the editorials in the coming days for those who will complain about "carbon footprints" of all the gas being used for this and those complaining about where the money came from for this procession. Seriously? Where are your hearts people?!?

As I watch the memorial from the Tacoma Dome now on t.v., I cannot stop the tears.

Their children are speaking about their fathers, the friends talking about thier losses.

This was a horrible and heartless thing that has happened here in Lakewood....but this community is showing all that it will not let it overcome us.

May you rest in peace Sgt Mark Renninger, Ronald Owens, Tina Griswold and Greg Richards.

No comments:

Post a Comment