Monday, January 13, 2014

I had no idea this is what it's like~!

So I get this phone call at 10 o'clock at night on Nov. 30th. Which always makes me panic a little because, well....no good news ever comes that late at night, right? Breanne's water broke and they were going to the hospital!!! But wait, she was not supposed to have the baby until December 25th! Oh now, this became a very stressful but of information! What? How? Why? So off they go to the Army hospital and there I lay in bed....staring at the ceiling and waiting. And praying. Needless to say, being across the United States and not being able to BE there was torture! I was flying in on Dec. 14th so I could make it in time for the birth! How could this be happening? I wasn't THERE!!! So we wait. And wait. And then the news came the next day.

The day I have been waiting for has finally arrived! I am now in the ranks of those privileged enough to be called a grandparent.Born to my (daughter) Breanne  and Danny on December 1st, 2013 was our beautiful little Belle Cadeau LeBlanc. Born 12:26 pm and weighed 5 pounds 8 ounces~
I have always been told, time and time again, that this is a life changer. I had no idea it would be this way. I mean, I gave birth to her Momma and uncle....how can anything be any more changing than that? How can I love anyone more than that?  So I change my flight plans so I can get there earlier. Of course!
I will admit, I was afraid to hold her when I saw her at the airport. She was so tiny! 5 pounds of tiny! Even preemie clothes were too small for her. Because she was after all, born 4 weeks too early. But everything was alright. She was healthy, with just a touch of jaundice. She got to come home a few days after she was born. All was good.
Settling in with her was wonderful. I had no idea it would feel this way. I could stare at her forever and not get tired. My hardest obstacle was trying not to hold her all the time. I mean, she DID have a mom and dad who wanted to hold her too. Sheesh.
I was fortunate enough to be able to spend a whole month there. Through the Christmas holidays and New year. And now I am home and missing her. All of my friends who have their grandchildren with them and around them, do you realize how lucky you are to be able to see them when you want, within hours? You need to be.
Because now I know what you all were talking about when you tried to tell me what it is like. And it is beyond wonderful.  The next time I get to be with her, she will be 6 months old. And we will experience new milestones and more snuggles and I cannot wait. Yes, I have only been home 24 hours. But I already wait for the moment I get to hold her in my arms again.

No comments:

Post a Comment